The Lund Loop is a once-weekly curated slice of what I am writing, reading, and hearing about in finance, tech, music, pop culture, humor, and the good life. But no sports or knitting….ever! You can subscribe for free by clicking here.
Welcome back folks. I know it’s been a tough week for all of us given the horrible news out of the Jay-Z-Beyonce camp but I appreciate you putting on a brave face and checking back in with the Lund Loop.
By the way, if you are getting this by mistake or no longer wish to receive the Lund Loop, be a sweetheart and refrain from reporting this email as “spam.” Just click the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the page and I promise I will never darken your doorstep again. Thanks. Now let’s do this….
- When I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat I think, “would my kids remember me if I didn’t come back?”
- Guess which hugely unpopular President sparked the craft brew boom?
- Don’t argue! The numbers are in. This is the worst investment you can make. (And most of you have done it).
- We..are…robots! We…are….here…to….
manage….your……money! Robo-advisors have landed.
- The latest in my “Best Movies You’ve Never Seen” series.
- When billionaires cry.
- 80’s novelty act Weird Al Yankovic scored a #1 album this week using some pretty innovative marketing.
- In other semi-music news….Gene Simmons won’t shut up OR die.
- Another of my childhood TV idols is dead, and I never knew this about James Garner.
- You want to be a genius? Surround yourself with creative people.
- A messy bed sells for millions. Why didn’t I know this during my teen years?
- Jeff Gundlach manages $50 billion in bonds. It all started by cold calling names in the phone book.
- While The New Yorker re-tools their website their archives are free. Here are the 8 stores you should read.
- The beach where you’ll find sun, sand, surf, and LEGO’s. Lot’s of them.
Short and sweet….
“Nobody solves poverty by going broke.”
-Adam Braun, founder of “Pencils of Promise” which has built over 200 schools in 3rd world countries.
“People go where they grow.”
-Seth Godin on what attracts people to certain content or products.
-Marc Maron when asked by Norm Macdonald what other professional options he had before starting his podcast.
“He was a natural movie star, not a natural actor. He had to learn that.”
-Scott Eyman, author of “John Wayne : The Life and Legend.”
“Get up, do it, prove you can do it, then do something else.”
-Magician Lance Burton on how to keep people engaged.
- [File under irony] The George Harrison Memorial Tree has been killed. By beetles.
- What do Americans do when trying exotic Asian food? Act like fucking idiots of course.
- Yeah, I know you have no interest in the new “50 Shades of Grey” trailer. So just skip this.
- When I die, turn me into one of these and then huck it at Justin Bieber/Kanye West/A random Kardashian/Anyone on “The View.”
See ya next week!