The Lund Loop is a once-weekly curated slice of what I am writing, reading, and hearing about in finance, tech, music, pop culture, humor, and the good life. But no sports or knitting….ever! You can subscribe for free by clicking here.
Welcome back folks. I know it’s been a tough week for all of us given the horrible news out of the Jay-Z-Beyonce camp but I appreciate you putting on a brave face and checking back in with the Lund Loop.
By the way, if you are getting this by mistake or no longer wish to receive the Lund Loop, be a sweetheart and refrain from reporting this email as “spam.” Just click the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the page and I promise I will never darken your doorstep again. Thanks. Now let’s do this….
- When I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat I think, “would my kids remember me if I didn’t come back?”
- Guess which hugely unpopular President sparked the craft brew boom?
- Don’t argue! The numbers are in. This is the worst investment you can make. (And most of you have done it).
- We..are…robots! We…are….here…to….
manage….your……money! Robo-advisors have landed.
- The latest in my “Best Movies You’ve Never Seen” series.
- When billionaires cry.
- 80’s novelty act Weird Al Yankovic scored a #1 album this week using some pretty innovative marketing.
- In other semi-music news….Gene Simmons won’t shut up OR die.
- Another of my childhood TV idols is dead, and I never knew this about James Garner.
- You want to be a genius? Surround yourself with creative people.
- A messy bed sells for millions. Why didn’t I know this during my teen years?
- Jeff Gundlach manages $50 billion in bonds. It all started by cold calling names in the phone book.
- While The New Yorker re-tools their website their archives are free. Here are the 8 stores you should read.
- The beach where you’ll find sun, sand, surf, and LEGO’s. Lot’s of them.
Short and sweet….
“Nobody solves poverty by going broke.”
-Adam Braun, founder of “Pencils of Promise” which has built over 200 schools in 3rd world countries.
“People go where they grow.”
–Seth Godin on what attracts people to certain content or products.
-Marc Maron when asked by Norm Macdonald what other professional options he had before starting his podcast.
“He was a natural movie star, not a natural actor. He had to learn that.”
-Scott Eyman, author of “John Wayne : The Life and Legend.”
“Get up, do it, prove you can do it, then do something else.”
-Magician Lance Burton on how to keep people engaged.
- [File under irony] The George Harrison Memorial Tree has been killed. By beetles.
- What do Americans do when trying exotic Asian food? Act like fucking idiots of course.
- Yeah, I know you have no interest in the new “50 Shades of Grey” trailer. So just skip this.
- When I die, turn me into one of these and then huck it at Justin Bieber/Kanye West/A random Kardashian/Anyone on “The View.”
See ya next week!