I made the journey down to Coronado last year to attend Stocktoberfest which is put on by StockTwits and hosted by Howard Lindzon, and it was so successful that they have announced that Stocktoberfest 2013 is scheduled for Oct 17-18th. The event is open to anyone that wants to attend, but if you are thinking of going you might want to first look at my seven reasons NOT to attend.
- Boring weather. Historically the weather in Coronado in mid-October is 75 degrees and sunny. Who wants to sit around in a place that has the “beige paint” of climates? Hello, wake me up when something exciting like a snowstorm or a hurricane hits the island.
- Have you seen the list of speakers? Whomever was responsible for booking talent should lose their job. Where is the celebrity chef? The reality TV star? The washed up rock star who will teach us the opening chords to Smoke on the Water? Now if they booked some big name financial types like Robert Kiyosaki or Tim Skyes, then we’d be talking.
- Watching Howard walk up to every attendee and say “pull my finger,” gets really old, REALLY quick.
- How can you trust an event with five syllables in its name?
- There’s a good chance that you will miss a Swamp People marathon while you are gone, and what would you do if your DVR didn’t record it correctly. WHAT….WOULD….YOU….DO….???
- The venue is literally across the street from the ocean, which means if there is another Sharknado, you’re toast!
- I will be there! Look, do you really want to run the risk of having me corner you at the bar and start making some lame comparison between the markets and my disastrous senior prom?
Stocktoberfest really is a great event and one of the coolest things about it is that there is no hierarchy. And no attitudes or egos. At Stocktoberfest you’ll see million dollar fund managers chatting with trading novices. The Saracens sitting next to the Jones Street Boys. The Moon Runners, right by the Van Courtland Rangers. And nobody is wasting nobody.
Oops, sorry! For a minute there I channeled Cyrus’s speech from The Warriors.
But the point is, nobody should be afraid or intimidated to attend. Read more about this in my post Check Your Ego At The Door: Notes On Stocktoberfest and and if you decide to go, don’t forget to review The Rules Of Stocktoberfest. I look forward to seeing you there.
If you want to learn more about day trading and the markets, all while helping to kick pediatric cancer’s ass, check out my book, Trading: The Best Of The Best – Top Trading Tips For Our Times. It includes over 200 market tips from 60 active traders and investors, and all proceeds go to the McKenna Claire Foundation to help support research for a cure. Just click the banner below or go directly to Amazon by clicking here.
Click here to “Like” the bclund Facebook page.